Why Do You Need Business Insurance?

Money, time, hard work — you've poured a lot into your business. Having the right coverage in place is key to financially protecting it from the unexpected.

Things To Consider:
What business are you in?
Where are you located?
How are you structured?
Do you have employees?

We're Here To Help
Knowledge is power. We’re here to help you gain confidence in your coverage.

Types of Businesses we Insure

This list is a summary of the types of businesses that are eligible for coverage today. We are always working to expand the types of businesses we can insure; so, if there's one you are looking for that is not here – drop us an Email.

Artisan Contractors: Cleaning Services, Electrical Work, Floor Installation and Repair, HVAC, Janitorial Services, Landscaping and Lawn Care, Painting, Window Cleaning, etc.

Auto Services: Auto Body and Paint, Engine Repair, Detailing, Glass Repair, Oil & Lube shops, etc.

Barbers and Beauticians: Professional Liability offered

Medical Offices: Acupuncturist, Chiropractor, Dentist, Podiatrist, Speech Therapist, etc. – Professional Liability excluded

Offices: Lawyers, Accounting Services, Financial Services, Realtors, Consultants, etc. - Professional Liability excluded

Restaurants: Limited-Cooking, Fast-Food and Full-Service

Retail: Clothing Stores, Toys Stores, Specialty Food Stores, Furniture and Housewares, etc.

The Stuff Everyone Gets

Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)

No matter who you choose as an insurance provider, you are going to want an insurance package that protects your business’ property and protects you from liability. Many small businesses will qualify for a Business Owner’s Policy (BOP)*, which is a combination of a General Liability policy, a Business Personal Property policy, and – if you own any buildings – a Building policy, plus a handful of additional useful coverages. It sounds like a lot, but they’re all important, which is why they’re usually offered together. While the BOP was designed for certain types of business, don’t worry if yours doesn’t qualify for one – you can still get a great deal on a custom commercial package that’s just right for you.

*The sample shown here may not be the same as your copy in all details. There may be state specific differences. 

General Liability

General Liability insurance, sometimes called Commercial General Liability insurance, protects your business from third party claims for damage to someone else’s property, as well as bodily injury and any related medical costs. It covers the defense costs as well as any judgments for covered losses for which your business is held liable, up to your policy limit. All of which is a fancy way of saying: you and your employees have coverage if you get sued for negligence, property damage, injury, or slander.

Business Personal Property

Business Personal Property insurance provides protection for the property you own that is used in your business, tenant’s improvements like fixtures and installations you’ve made to a building that you occupy but don’t own, and includes leased property that you have a responsibility to insure. Examples of business personal property include computers, laptops, printers, furniture and office supplies you own or lease. If your business sells goods or products, Business Personal Property may also cover your inventory held for sale. Coverage is usually at replacement cost.

Additional Coverages Included in the BOP

The Stuff Everyone Can Get

Optional Coverages

This list of coverages will apply to most businesses, regardless of its industry. They come into play depending on how your business operates. For example, do you do any business online? If so, check out the Electronic Commerce coverage. Do you have a big, expensive sign out by the street? You may want Outdoor Signs coverage. Read through the list and see if any apply to your business.

Special Situations - You Have Employees

Employee-Related Optional Coverages

In addition to the BOP optional coverages that apply to most types of businesses, there are more optional coverages to consider if you have people working for you. These may apply to you depending on your industry, how many employees you have, and the benefit packages you offer your employees.

Special Situations - You Own Your Own Space

More options for building owners

If you own your own building or commercial condo, this list of building-related coverages applies to you. In fact, if you have an outstanding loan on your property, your lender most likely requires you to carry at least some of these building-related coverages.

Professional Services and Other Unique Risks

These optional coverages apply to you if you provide professional services or advice, or are in a business faced with unique risks like the possibility of inventory spoilage or food contamination. Restaurants, produce stands, ice cream parlors, and many other food service providers fall into that latter category of businesses.


Sign in to manage your policy.

signing in...